Choosing the right GPU for the seasoned Intel i7-6700 processor can be a complex task, especially when balancing performance with the potential for bottlenecks. In this guide, we dive into a variety of GPUs, evaluating them without the usual bottleneck concerns. Our focus is on providing a broad spectrum of recommendations, from budget-friendly to high-end options. We consider factors such as price-to-performance ratio, gaming and creative capabilities, and overall value. This article combines our personal reviews with comprehensive insights, aiming to help you find a GPU that rejuvenates your i7-6700, regardless of its age.
Related: Best GPU For i7-4770k
|Memory Size [VRAM]
|1530 MHz – 1725 MHz
When it comes to finding the best budget GPU to pair with your i7-6700 processor, the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super is an ideal GPU. The Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super is armed with 4 GB of VRAM, striking a balance between affordability and performance. Clocking in at speeds ranging from 1530 MHz to 1725 MHz, this GPU offers the processing power needed for seamless 1080p gaming. Crafted using a 12nm manufacturing process, it delivers this power efficiently while maintaining a power-friendly profile with a Thermal Design Power (TDP) of 100W.
This performs great at 1080p in games like Rainbow Six Siege: For avid Rainbow Six Siege players, this graphics card Performs great at 1080p with ultra settings, it delivers frame rates consistently exceeding 108 FPS, crucial for maintaining a competitive edge in fast-paced matches. Battlefield V: In “Battlefield V.” At 1080p with ultra settings, it maintains an average frame rate of around 71 FPS, ensuring an enjoyable gameplay experience. Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Playing at 1080p with high settings provides a smooth experience, averaging over 60 FPS. It’s an ideal setup for exploring the games.
The Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super is a cost-effective GPU for enhancing your gaming experience when paired with an i7-6700 processor. With a blend of decent memory, impressive clock speeds, and power efficiency, this GPU ensures smooth 1080p gaming without straining your budget. Whether you’re exploring open-world landscapes, engaging in competitive battles, or embarking on thrilling adventures, the GTX 1650 Super is your reliable gaming companion.
Reasons to buy:
- Budget-friendly: The GTX 1650 Super is one of the most affordable GPUs on the market, making it a great option for gamers on a tight budget.
- Good 1080p performance: The GTX 1650 Super can handle most games at 1080p resolution with high settings and frame rates.
- Low power consumption: The GTX 1650 Super has a low power draw, making it a good choice for gamers who are concerned about their energy bills.
- Efficient: The GTX 1650 Super is a relatively efficient GPU, which means it doesn’t generate a lot of heat.
Reasons not to buy:
- Not suitable for high-end gaming or 1440p/4K resolutions: The GTX 1650 Super is not powerful enough for demanding games or higher resolutions.
- Can struggle with demanding titles: Some newer or more graphically demanding games may experience performance issues on the GTX 1650 Super.
|Memory Size [VRAM]
|1530 MHz – 1785 MHz
Moving on to our next GPU contender, the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super proves to be another excellent option, particularly if you’re mindful of your budget. This graphics card can handle most games at high graphic settings while maintaining smooth frame rates. However, it’s worth noting that considering it as a used, secondhand purchase might provide better value for your money compared to buying it brand new.
The Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super boasts 6 GB of VRAM, which provides ample memory for gaming and multitasking. With clock speeds ranging from 1530 MHz to 1785 MHz and a 12nm manufacturing process, it strikes a harmonious balance between performance and power efficiency. While it has a slightly higher Thermal Design Power (TDP) of 125W compared to some other GPUs, it still remains within a manageable range for most gaming setups.
The Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super performs in a variety of popular games. Battlefield V: The GTX 1660 Super delivers a great performance. Playing at 1080p with ultra settings, you can anticipate smooth gameplay with frame rates comfortably exceeding 86 FPS. Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Adventure seekers will appreciate the GTX 1660 Super’s performance in “Shadow of the Tomb Raider.” At 1440p with high settings, it maintains an average frame rate of approximately 53 FPS.
The Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super is a budget-friendly GPU that can significantly enhance your gaming experience. While it performs admirably in various games at high settings, it’s prudent to consider purchasing it as a used, secondhand option for optimal value. With 6 GB of VRAM, solid clock speeds, and commendable power efficiency, the GTX 1660 Super stands as an attractive choice for gamers looking to strike a balance between performance and affordability.
Reasons to buy:
- Good balance of performance and price: The GTX 1660 Super offers a good balance of performance and price, making it a great option for gamers who are looking for a good value GPU.
- Can handle most 1080p games at high settings: The GTX 1660 Super can handle most games at 1080p resolution with high settings.
- More powerful than the GTX 1650 Super: The GTX 1660 Super is more powerful than the GTX 1650 Super, so it can handle more demanding games.
Reasons not to buy:
- Not as powerful as the RTX 3060 or RX 6600: The GTX 1660 Super is not as powerful as the RTX 3060 or RX 6600, so it may not be able to handle the most demanding games at high settings.
|Memory Size [VRAM]
|1626 MHz – 2044 MHz
If you’re in search of a recent GPU that delivers impressive budget-friendly gaming performance, the AMD Radeon RX 6600 should be on your radar. This graphics card stands as an excellent choice for those aiming to enjoy 1080p gaming at high graphics settings without breaking the bank. In this section, we’ll delve into the key specifications of the AMD Radeon RX 6600 and explore its prowess in enhancing your gaming experience.
The AMD Radeon RX 6600 comes equipped with a generous 8 GB of VRAM, ensuring ample memory for gaming and multitasking. With clock speeds ranging from 1626 MHz to 2044 MHz and a cutting-edge 7nm manufacturing process, it combines performance with efficiency seamlessly. While its Thermal Design Power (TDP) registers at 132W, which is slightly higher than some GPUs, it remains within an acceptable range for most gaming setups.
The RX 6600 performs great in a variety of popular titles. Cyberpunk 2077: In the immersive dystopian world of Cyberpunk 2077, the AMD Radeon RX 6600 impresses. Running the game at 1080p with high settings delivers a solid gaming experience with frame rates averaging around 60 FPS. Valorant: For fans of competitive shooters like Valorant, the RX 6600 performs exceptionally well. At 1080p with high settings, it consistently reaches frame rates well above 200 FPS, offering a responsive and fluid gaming experience crucial for precise aiming and quick reactions. Watch Dogs Legion: The RX 6600 doesn’t disappoint. Playing at 1080p with ultra settings provides a smooth experience with frame rates hovering around 65 FPS.
The AMD Radeon RX 6600 stands out as a budget-friendly champion for those seeking an exceptional 1080p gaming experience. With 8 GB of VRAM, impressive clock speeds, and efficient 7nm technology, this GPU offers remarkable value for its price. Whether you’re exploring futuristic cities, engaging in competitive battles, or traversing vast landscapes, the RX 6600 is your ticket to immersive and affordable gaming.
Reasons to buy:
- Solid mid-range option: The RX 6600 is a great mid-range option that offers good value for the price.
- Good 1080p performance: The RX 6600 can handle most games at 1080p resolution with high settings and frame rates.
- 8GB of VRAM: The RX 6600 has 8GB of VRAM, which is plenty for most games.
- 7nm manufacturing process: The RX 6600 is built on a 7nm manufacturing process, which makes it more efficient than older GPUs.
Reasons not to buy:
- Not suitable for 1440p: The RX 6600 is not really suitable for gaming at 1440p.
- Limited ray tracing: While it supports ray tracing, the performance is not as impressive as Nvidia’s RTX cards.
|1410 MHz – 1665 MHz
|8 nm 200 W
When you’re aiming for top-tier performance from your i7-6700 processor, the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 stands as the ultimate GPU pairing. This graphics card not only provides exceptional performance but also ensures that your processor isn’t held back. If you’re seeking a GPU that can run most games at high to maximum graphics settings at both 1080p and 1440p, the RTX 3060 is your answer. In this section, we’ll delve into the key specifications of the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 and explore how it can elevate your gaming experience and future-proof your system.
The Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 boasts an impressive 12 GB of memory, allowing for smooth multitasking and efficient gaming. With clock speeds ranging from 1410 MHz to 1665 MHz and an advanced 8nm manufacturing process, it combines raw power with energy efficiency. While it registers a Thermal Design Power (TDP) of 200W, which is relatively high, it’s well-matched to the RTX 3060’s capabilities.
In our review of RTX 3060, this GPU performs great in 1080p in games like Watch Dogs Legion: At 1080p with ultra settings, the RTX 3060 provides a smooth gaming experience, consistently achieving frame rates above 61 FPS. Shadow of the Tomb Raider: With the RTX 3060, you can tackle this game at 1440p with high settings, experiencing it in all its chilling glory with frame rates hovering around 83 FPS. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Venturing into the Viking world of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, the RTX 3060 delivers exceptional performance. At 1080p with ultra settings, you can explore the vast open world with frame rates averaging around 63 FPS, ensuring an immersive and lag-free experience.
The Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 is the pinnacle of GPU performance for your i7-6700 processor. With 12 GB of VRAM, impressive clock speeds, and advanced 8nm technology, this GPU unlocks the full potential of your gaming rig. It handles modern games at high to maximum settings without breaking a sweat, whether you’re gaming at 1080p or 1440p. Moreover, it’s future-proof and capable of accommodating future processor upgrades. If you’re seeking the best performance from your i7-6700 and desire a recent GPU, the RTX 3060 is your ultimate choice.
Reasons to buy:
- Top-tier performance: Unleash the full potential of your i7-6700, tackling even the most demanding games at high settings and frame rates.
- 1080p capable: Enjoy smooth gameplay at higher resolutions, although settings might need adjustments for 1440p.
- Future-proof technology: DLSS and ray tracing features offer cutting-edge visuals and performance for upcoming titles.
Reasons to not buy:
Limited ray tracing: While it supports ray tracing, the performance is not as impressive
The AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT excels in delivering top-notch performance for 1080p gaming and holds its ground in 1440p settings. Gamers can expect smooth frame rates and high-quality graphics in most modern titles, making it an excellent choice for immersive gaming experiences. This GPU strikes a commendable balance between cost and performance. It offers substantial gaming prowess at a price point that is competitive, appealing to gamers who seek value without compromising on quality.
Equipped with advanced features like RDNA 2 architecture, the RX 6650 XT boasts impressive clock speeds and VRAM, ensuring fast and efficient processing. Its technical capabilities make it a strong candidate for demanding gaming and creative tasks. When paired with the i7-6700, the RX 6650 XT functions efficiently, minimizing bottlenecks. However, it’s crucial for users to consider their individual system configurations to optimize performance.
The AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT is an ideal choice for gamers who prioritize high frame rates and detailed graphics in their gaming sessions. Its balance of price, performance, and specifications makes it a standout option in its category.
Reasons to Buy:
- Excellent 1080p Performance: Ideal for gamers seeking high frame rates in full HD.
- Solid 1440p Gaming: Capable of handling more demanding resolutions effectively.
- Value for Money: Offers a good balance between cost and performance.
- Modern Architecture: Utilizes RDNA 2, ensuring efficiency and future readiness.
Reasons Not to Buy:
- Not Optimal for 4K Gaming: May struggle with ultra-high resolutions.
- Potential Overkill for Casual Gaming: This may exceed the needs of non-intensive gamers.
- Compatibility Considerations: Important to ensure it matches your system’s overall capabilities.
In conclusion, the best GPU for an i7-6700 must be chosen with considerations like performance integrity, 1440p capabilities, price-performance ratio, and potential bottlenecks. The GPU selection ranges from budget-friendly options like the GTX 1650 Super, suitable for entry-level 1080p gaming, to more powerful GPUs like the RTX 3060 and RX 6650XT, offering enhanced performance for 1440p gaming. My recommendation, the RTX 3060, provides a harmonious blend of cost-efficiency, performance integrity, and future readiness, making it an ideal choice for a wide spectrum of gamers.